December 2, 2013

Pumpkins and Halloween

Halloween was splendidly fun this year with a little boy who was just old enough to understand that something was going on. We learned our lesson last year, after carving our pumpkins too early and having a moldy mess on our porch before Trick Or Treating night even arrived. So this year, we waited until the week of Halloween to have a carving Family Night activity. I thought Cameron would dive right into the guts and just explore the feeling of it in his fingers. Alas, he was more interested in playing with the scooper than anything else. 

 I choose to carve something fast and simple, while Mark went much more advanced.  He searched the web for a perfect pattern, settled on Ghostbusters, and carved a rather delightful looking pumpkin.  Nice work hubs. We had a nice turnout this year if I do say so myself.

On Halloween, we boarded a plane and headed south to visit my brother David. A delightful choice for 2 reasons.  One: my brother is delightful company, and Two: the weather merits an easy costume. Thankfully, Lesley had a stash of old costumes (being the awesome parents we are, we didn't bring one) and threw Cameron in the bear suit with a little makeup. Hot Dog he looked cute! We hit the streets with cousins, Jack and Cubby - both home made costumes; she puts me to shame. Cameron had the whole trick or treating gig down after the second house. He was knocking the doors and holding his cute hand out for some candy. Then dropping it in his pumpkin. One house had the bowl of candy on the doorstep and the little lad just sat right next to it and starting loading up his pumpkin. I better keep my out for this one; looks like he'll be THAT kid.
 The rest of the weekend was just spent hanging out with the family. We enjoyed a morning soccer game, and dinner out, and lots of warm weather and sun. The cousins are warming up to each other each visit.  A few more in and I think I'll have them convinced to be friends. Spencer is still a bullet train compared to Cameron's slow reflexes. But soon enough I hope they'll keep each other entertained. I can only hope.

No comments: