Our "Smart Goal" in the History Department this year is to lower our fail rate from 30% to 25%. Hence why I have been working so hard in after school hours to try and get these kids to make up their work and get that passing grade.
Today marks the end of our 6 week progress report grading period. Reports will be mailed home early next week. After calculating my kids scores--I have a 21% fail rate. This counts the 7 students I have on my rolls that have more truancy's then actual days attended. (3 I have never seen.) If you ask me, that is pretty darn good. That means I have 130 passing students.
I must say, my 2nd period class are pretty much rock stars. All of them. I have 16 A's in that 33 student class alone. Followed by 11 B's and NO D's. So kudos to them.
I can't say that this improvement in grades has anything to do with me. I have changed my teaching methods slightly this year. I do my notes differently, and have done a different activity here or there, but overall I think its the same stuff. So, maybe I am getting to be a better teacher, or maybe its just a smart year of kids. I will say, I got an email today from one of my parents (I'm really making a concerted effort to email/call/contact all my parents frequently) responding to an email I sent that his kid had an A and was just a good kid overall. He responded saying thanks and that I "must be an OUTSTANDING educator!!!" That made me feel good.
Self-great day!
1 comment:
You are definitely an AMAZING teacher! (I would know, as I've seen you in action in all your classroom glory). :)
Love ya, girl! I'm sure we'll chat soon!
Post a Comment