At school today I had this brief conversation with my student Michael as we waited for the bell to ring. (if you recall, he was the one who asked about catching fire in an earthquake...) I've always thought it was interesting how on TV, in scenes with high school classes, the teacher is in mid lesson with no sign of closure, the students are all attentive with no sign of knowledge the bell is about to ring, and then; as if by complete surprise, the bell rings and all the students jump to leave! Really, it isn't like that. At least it isn't in my class! If by the rare chance I even have "too much" lesson for the day, the kids are well aware of the bell ring-age and will let me know if I forget. Sorry, I digress--the convo:
Michael: Mrs. Morrell. Did you know in Germany they made a machine that will help you get stronger? You do this shaking thing...blah blah blah (He starts doing motions with his hands and I just stop listening)
Me: really? wow!
Michael: Mrs. Morrell. Do you want an apple?
Me: No thanks Michael.
Michael: When you were a teenager, did anyone ever tell you that you look like Hanna Montana?
Me: Well, being that she didn't exist when I was a teenager, I'm going to have to say no!
Michael: Oh. Well. you do. (pause) Except you're fatter!
Me: ???? And poorer.
4 comments:
That guy is Wacked out! At least it keeps your life humorous which keeps it going. I have my kids for that.
What a weird kid. You fat?! Not even close!!
BTW, I must give credit to myself for taking that post-Cheesecake factory pic! To your credit, one of those cheesecakes WAS mine... :)
The joys of teaching teenagers!!! Fun Blog... Great talk today. It was a wonderful Sacrament meeting. Fun to have you guys in our ward. Our thoughts are with you and your family. Jenifer McAninch
Sure, I have never met you in person ... so maybe my opinion might not be worth much. Buuuut, every photo documentation that has been presented to me of you strongly indicates no fatness. Does this mean Hannah Montana is anorexic? Not sure ...
Post a Comment