With the launching of the Foundation tomorrow (that's crazy exciting) my Nauvoo post has been delayed. But, wait no more my friends, here is our photo blog of our fantastic trip to Nauvoo.
I wrote on my "50 before 50 To Do" list back in 2007 that I wanted to go to Nauvoo. I have always wanted to go there. It has great historic significance to my faith. {Explore THIS WEBSITE to learn of the connection between The Church of Jesus Christ and Nauvoo} AND it just is a lot of history all in one place. So - that makes me happy.
First off, the drive to Nauvoo from Iowa. Holy beautiful my friend. And I'm pretty sure we passed a few abandoned houses that I was DYING to stop and walk through. I'll never forgive myself for not. And the livestock that the semi's were carrying. I defiantly felt like a sense of gratitude for the farmers and wide open spaces in America.
We went to see how bricks were made, saw an incredible thunder storm, and went to the visitor center to book some tickets for the next day's wagon ride and such. I was inspired by those who were serving missions there as docents and performers. Mostly because I could see myself doing that someday. I just love history too much to not be immersed in it completely.
The next morning, we made the short drive over to Carthage, where the prophet was martyred. Such a neat experience there. Not at all what I was thinking it was going to be; not worse by any means, just different. And awesome. There is certainly a special spirit about this place and all those who come to reverence this great man.
Later that day we met up with Tessa and her family on this beautiful hill with the Rebuilt Nauvoo temple behind us. Totally awesome. And we wore our Reunion shirts which I thought were really cute and clever. They all say "made with the Wright stuff". hehe.
A few more touristy trips around the town wrapped up our day. I spent most of the second day touring the houses and walking the trail of hope down to the Mississippi. Which made me think of the Broadway play "Big River". Another great love.
I was in love with Nauvoo. Just in love with it. So much so that I hope I can go and visit it again sometime. We did it so quick, that we sadly missed a whole bunch. Only at the tail end of our trip did I learn about Jonathan Coulson Wright who had a home that is still standing in Nauvoo, and was my Great, Great grandfather. He was good friend with the prophet and his brother Hyrum. Was baptized by Hyrum, and travelled across he plains with the Saints to settle in Brigham City and play a very significant role in politics there. I need to look more into that.






No comments:
Post a Comment