The ladies of the bunch started the day off with a "bang" as we ran in the annual Cedar Rapids 5K. Big props to my mother who made the jog for the entire 3.1 miles. We laughed when the announcer said that there were division awards and mom says "I might have a chance, how many 60 year old women are doing this?" She's a healthy lady and I love that about her. And - happy day for me, I made my goal..well, I was 42 seconds behind my goal. If I hadn't walked that one stop light intersection! A great race with my lady friends.
We then enjoyed a fairly lazy afternoon before heading over to a local park for the BBQ and evening activities. We have 4 July birthday's, all really close together, so we celebrated with cake and ice cream along with the typical BBQ day treats. Lesley made this amazing Raspberry salad that was like Ice Cream, but healthy. I told Cameron it was ice cream just to get him to eat it, and he gobbled it right up. Soon, all the other mother's were using my lie to get their kids to eat it up. Seriously though, it tasted like ice cream. yummy.
After Dinner, we sent the kids and grandparents over to the park while the adults sat under the tree and chatted. (except for the photographer, I was with the kids). It is so wonderful to see your kids and your siblings kids play together with Grandma and Grandpa. I love how active and healthy my mom and step-dad are, that they can take an active role in their grandkids lives. It is inspiring to me and makes me want to do the same.
After a rowdy time at the playground, it was time for a Cheney vs. Wright baseball game. Several of the Cheney kids were there as well to celebrate their Father's birthday, so it made for a perfect number of people to play a perfect American game. And we had so much fun. As the photographer, I laughed and laughed at what we all looked like while hitting the ball. Tessa was THE BEST ugly hitter with me coming in at a close second. I guess us Wright girls were not meant to be batters. And of course, mom was there with all the kiddos just oozing her love and attention onto them. And they loved it!
Finally, the sun started to set and we broke out the fireworks and sparklers. Joe and the dad's went onto home plate to set off tons of fireworks, while we sat in the bleachers and ooh over their bright colors and popping sounds. The kids were enchanted with the sparklers; Cory couldn't get them lit fast enough!

And as the grande finale, we sent off Floating Lanterns into the dark night sky. This was certainly an adventure that sounded better than it actually turned out to be. It was quite the feat to get the wax wick started, and then get the balloon part filled with enough hot air to get it to go. Once they went, it was so romantic and really beautiful in a way. We got about 10 or 12 up with only about 8 causalities. So, it was more successful than I thought. Sadly, it was so late, that the little girls had fallen asleep and didn't catch the "Tangled" reference.
A perfect 4th of July celebration for my memory book. How I love my family and that I got to spend time with them. So grateful for my Independence that I am able to worship my God freely, that I am able to dress and eat and live in the manner that I want. And that all are allowed the same privilege in this great promised land. God Bless America!





No comments:
Post a Comment