March 26, 2014

Big River

As a part of my Birthday surprise, (long time ago - I know, but it's worth a post) Mark had set up a tickets and a babysitter to the stage production of Big River.  To most, this wouldn't be much of an excitement, but to me, Big River hold great sentimental value.  

You see, many many moons ago, my father went to a white elephant Christmas party. His parting gift was a copy of the Big River soundtrack and only moments after he popped that baby in, he was hooked. Our whole family listened to its tracks hundreds of times.  We even did a ward lip-sync number to one of the songs, a fond memory that brings a smile to my face every time.  

My dad went to the actual stage production several years later during a week that I was at a church youth camp, Especially for Youth. I was so sad that they all went without me! Another several years later, my dad got sick.  Really sick.  And on days when things weren't so good, mom would put in Big River and it would bring a smile to his weak, thin face.  Clear up to the day he died, he loved this music.


When the local community theater had this production on their schedule, Mark knew it was a no brainer, slam dunk, best-spouse-of-the-year gift.  And he was right.  I cried, literally cried, when he said we had tickets to go.  I sat in the seat and sang every song. (I really tried to whisper or mouth the words so as to not disturb the others around me) and I loved every moment.  AND, the seat next to me was empty for the entire production.  Yes, I totally envisioned my dad occupying that seat.  Such a fantastic moment to just relish in the memory of my dad.  Oh how I miss him sometimes.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I love this! I especially love that it all stemmed from a white elephant! Good husband, sweet memories!