July 13, 2013

Our own Fireworks

 This is the promised post of the second half of our Fourth of July celebrations. Boy oh boy did we have a good time. This would have to go down in the books as one of the best Fourth's in a while. I loved being with family! Cousins everywhere, Mark's brothers are two of my favorite people ever, Granny and Gramps...and Granny's homemade Ice Cream. I felt like I was in Mayberry, USA. 'sigh'. So great.

We got all got together in the early evening for food and dinner and games. Uncle Tom made homemade Root Beer, which I have never seen done before! It was so .. scientific. The boys just ate it right up; all that dry ice billowing out of the cooler. Very festive. Our family provided the chips and dip; and a big thanks to Costco, we did really well. I give high points to Wholly Salsa's party pack - on sale for 8.99. It was a smashing hit. Cameron was enthraled with all the cousins. Again, a major perk to moving here - Cameron has so many cousins that he gets to hang out with. Sadly, they are all in the same family, so they probably don't see it that way.
 As dusk approached, we all headed outside for the fireworks party. Being from California, this was entirely new territory for me. Mark started setting out the blankets and chairs on the lawn; a part of the holiday I did not expect. Then, the whole family came out and we laughed, and set off fireworks and sparklers, and watched the neighbors do the same. It was total Mayberry, USA! I tell you, it was hallmark! I loved every second of it.
Mark and I had contributed a box of fireworks that WalMart was selling. Being total ammetures, I had no idea that we just got several of the rocket kind that just shoot from the ground. I expected something more. Luckyily, the Bouche's were experienced and got a few real ones that shot up into the sky; and the neighbors had invested some serious dollars in the Wyoming kind. So we had a great show.

As the evening progressed, we got more creative with our photography and our sparklers. I really wanted the cute photo Pinterest shows of the couple in the middle of the Cinderella sparklers. Hard to explain but looks great in my head. The boys weren't as excited to try it; so instead I got my name. But I did a pretty good job if you ask me.

No holiday beats the 4th of July. I love being an American. I love this country. I am sure that if I were from another country, I'd have patriotism for where I lived, but as it stands, I am proud to be an American. I am grateful for those Founding Fathers who made a government that allowed us the freedoms we share. God bless the USA. And the best part about moving to Utah? We get to have the same kind of celebration on the 24th for Pioneer Day! Bring it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WAY cool with the sparklers. I've never seen that before.