July 11, 2013

Wardrobe Woes

I have reached the point in every girls life in which I've realize that my wardrobe is in dire need of a makeover. I can't really say this is a sudden and new realization I've had - but it's become very apparent to me when the laundry that I do includes the same shirts over and over again; while the bulk of my collection remains untouched in the closet. Why this is? Well, those are all my pre-everything clothes that I knew I looked cute in then and want to look cute in again. In addition to this rather tragic reality, the shirts that I do wear are all the same tee shirt; just in different colors and a little variety in the neckline. But all basically the exact same shirt. Heavens, they were even purchased at the same establishment. It is a problem that needs to be addressed. So off to the mall I went.

I haven't gone clothes shopping in over a decade. Long. Time. Sure I've been onsie - twosy-ing it here and there, (hence the same shirt in different colors) but I haven't really done a good shopping project. You know, the kind your mom took you on before school started. So - I rolled up my sleeves, and my pocketbook, and ventured into the world. And what I found was not pretty.
Y'all have seen it, of this I am sure. Everything in every store was backless, sleeveless, strapless, legless, or lace. And Maxi skirts; an overwhelming part of the culture here that I can't quite get myself to buy into. I would have to add an entire collection of camisole and cap sleeve undershirts to ensure my personal dress standards are met. And the sad thing is? I would wear this very cute, very IN summer style if my standards and my body type would allow it. And so there I sit; in any given store gazing at the mannequins with wanting eyes. Wanting their thin fake waists, their perfectly draped scarfs, flatter chests, and cut off shorts that I know I have the legs for. 

But I didn't indulge. I did find several new items, being careful to NOT buy the same kind of tee-shirt move, and I think it will work for the next 12 years or so. Who knows what the world's standard will bring by then. 

2 comments:

Katie said...

Man, i hear you on this one! Shopping isn't even fun! It's a chore! And as moms you know you'll get slobbered and spit up on so it's not worth spending any amount of money either. And thus the 5 shirt rotation continues for me too, unless I am on rare occasion going out then I break out a shirt that is a little "nicer" haha

Unknown said...

I feel ya, sister!