May 17, 2013

Dear Ol' Dad


My dad was very much a typical small town high school boy. He had a few good stories, about he and his buddies, doing wild things that just make me laugh to think about. I remember a story he told about one of his high school teachers who had a paddle. A paddle that my dad was somewhat familiar with. At the end of the year, dad and his buddies made a new paddle for this teacher, with bottle caps and nails and shards of glass sticking right out of it. He said the teacher laughed and laughed, and then hung it in his classroom for years to follow.  Another story that sits in my memory is one when Dad was in High school. His buddy decided that he was going to ride his motorcycle through the main hallway of the school; a strait hallway that ran from one end of the building to the other. Dad's job was to open the first door at a particular time while another boy opened the exit. So - at his appointed time, he asked to use the restroom, walked to the entry door, opened it right up as the bike went barreling through the school. He then shut the door and returned to class. I don't recall the end of the story, perhaps dad never told it. But it sure makes me laugh to think of him doing it. Funny guy.

It's been 4 years today for those who are counting. I feel like it's been forever since I've had a good sit down chat with my dear ol' dad. He could always get the room rolling in laughter. I still wonder a lot about his life now. And somedays I just miss him. Today especially. I know there is a lot of time left before we can be together again, but it is the 'again' that makes the time more bearable. Love you dad.