It's moving weekend here on our front and things have been a whirlwind of packing, cleaning, and goodbyes. As moving goes, this has been a fairly smooth process. But as the dust begins to settle and we wave farewell to our home for the last time, I realize there was a lot to this place that I'm going to miss, and a few things I will not.
I'll miss my house. For sure. It's a funny thing really because for the 3 years that I've lived in it I've thought it was just an okay house. I liked it fine but looked forward to when we would get to upgrade. I envied all those who have moved in the last year and the newness of their homes and their adventures. And now that it is unexpectedly my turn, I realize that I love this little house of mine. I'll miss the office desk for sure. I love the organization that it provides. I'll miss my ample cupboard space in the kitchen. I'll miss my island. And I'll miss the bathroom that I put all that thought into. I'll miss my high ceilings, and my 3 car garage, and the open view in the backyard despite the fact that we never got around to landscaping.
I will not miss the 4 freeway. Nightmare. It has been under construction forever, and I think it's got forever left. I can't stand that drive and will never miss not having to make it every time we want to go over the hill.
I will miss the medians and tree lined streets. We have pretty roads here. Beautiful in fact. Most of the major streets have beautiful medians that are filled with vegetation and trees. It makes for a lovely drive when you are running your ump-teenth errand.
I will not miss the crime rates. It isn't a safe community. We were broken into twice, and it just isn't a fuzzy feeling when you get those neighborhood watch emails on a weekly basis informing us of whose house was broken into and what fishy activity was spotted. The high school is rotten strait through, with little hope of improvement. And the overall feeling of Walmart (one of my faves) is a little sketchy. In fact, I've transferred most of my shopping needs over to Target because it just feels nicer.
I will miss the people. I've met some great people here who have been so friendly to us during our stay. I have nightmares that I won't make any friends in our new home because they all have their family around and set friends that I just won't fit in. It's a little crazy I know, but it is a real fear that i have. So I'll miss the familiar faces and the "I fit here" feeling that I have.
I will not miss the prices. We're moving in a good direction on this front. Our gas will be cheaper, our housing will be cheaper, a gallon of milk will be cheaper! It's going to be great and I am really looking forward to seeing the numbers drop.
I will miss the weather. It is beautiful weather here. I know that our new home has all 4 season, but having not lived in the snow, with the exception of my few college days, I am a little nervous just how cold it is going to get. The roads are always clear, the sky is almost always blue, and that's just a lovely thing.
I will miss our location. I grew up here so there are so many things that I did as a kid that I was wanting to share with Mark and our family. The beach for example. I will miss the beach. Not that I ever went while we lived here, but the knowledge that I could if I wanted is something that has to be left behind. And San Francisco. The Big Trees. Santa Cruz. 6 Hours to Disneyland. It's just been a good place for us to live and we didn't get to do all the things I wanted to. Sure there is lots to do in Utah and I will love the outdoors there as much as I've loved them here, but I don't know there like I know here. So that I will miss.
I will miss my mom. It is so weird leaving her. I have just gotten so use to having her right around the corner, and had planned a life with her in it. Cooking classes with Grandma. Playdates. Dinners and watching our favorite shows together. Scrapbooking parties. I just always had her in my future plans because we hadn't planned to move. Now that we are at this junction, I realize that I have to learn to stand on my own again. It's rough and I wish I could just take her with me.
It has been a good run here in Antioch, California. We feel so blessed that we were sent here for this jaunt in time, and look forward to our many adventures in our new home. To the one person who I know lives out there (Diana H.) I will be in touch because I need a friend.
Goodbye California, Hello Utah!
5 comments:
Can't wait! Let me know when you get here, I am so excited to get together and seriously, let me know if you need anything at all!!!!!
I totally sympathize with the things you'll miss, I felt the exact same way. I remember one time when we were living in Pleasanton and I came to Clayton to visit some friends and my parents had already moved. I drove over Ygnacio Valley Road and into Concord/Clayton and it was absolutely beautiful and so familiar and yet I felt like I was a visitor. It was such a weird feeling to feel like a visitor in a place that you know and love so much. Anyway, good luck with everything! See you soon!
Moving is such an emotional roller coaster. I totally understand the mom thing, I miss living by my mom so much!
You will make friends! YOu guys are awesome. Even though I don't think I've ever met your husband, from your blog and the updates I get, you all seem pretty great!
Can't wait to read your Utah adventures. It will make me miss it there, I am sure.
I have my own sad list of things I miss from CA. The only two things I don't miss, the cost and traffic! Hope everything works out in your new abode. Crossing my fingers for good friends for you, sometimes it's hard to feel like you fit in in a new state.
You are so much fun, you will make friends quick! I envy you that you are moving out of California. I want to do the same, but I want to move closer to my family. I do like the weather and all the things to do here. Lots of options but I never take the time to do them. I moved a lot as a kid, just make sure you put yourself out there. People will love you!
HI - You're moving to Utah! Holy Cow! That's a change, but I really bet you'll love it - or at least it will be okay for a while until you learn to love it....right? I'm just an hour north, so let me know if you come this way - I'll for sure holler if we come down south because I would love to see you again and meet your little guy. Good luck with everything! Take care:)
Post a Comment