I had a great day. Simply awesome. Why you ask? Well, because - for the first time in forever, I capitalized on the fact that I don't have an employer, I had a car to my disposal, and I could do whatever I wanted. For my whole life, I always had to make plans on weekends; and even now am constantly aware of my husbands work schedule and when we can and can not play. Well, with him being out of town, I decided on a whim to drive up to the Golden Spike Historic Site. I have wanted to go since moving here, and for the first time in forever, I actually realized that I could just go!
So, on a random Friday, I loaded up the boy and a few snacks and headed north. And, as a totally unexpected bonus, Uncle Tom decided to join us!
This was a totally lack-luster historic site. So many stories about this little 45 minute stop that I could fill a whole page. A few favorite highlights included:
** the tour group just before us was full of Historical Society Senior citizens. They were super helpful! Never in my life have so many strangers approached me to tell me about what I needed to do. The platforms behind the trains was the most frequent tip. Tom and I couldn't help but smile.
** The platforms. Not sure why everyone acted like thy were the best thing ever. They are there to help you look into the locomotive. Um - pretty sure I've been inside several trains at other historic places. So-looking into the cabin wasn't that exciting.
** Trains vs. locomotive. I was corrected a few times by the gentleman reenacting some historic part. I was telling Cameron, "isn't this a cool train?" and the man, looking around in wonder, exclaimed - "where is a train? There aren't any trains here. This is a locomotive". Oh - my bad.
** NOTHING was historic. The entire site, from railway ties to "trains" to the golden spike was all reproduced "look alikes" The whole place was a farce.
** The plaques spoke of "a booming train depot with several ruffians who preyed on the train passengers." There were restaurants, hotels, saloons, and communities all up in these hills. My thought - where are the remnants of this "booming town". There wasn't so much as a foundation or a stone to show of any type of town. How is that there are deserted ghost towns all over America and yet there isn't one single anything here to show there was life. It all seemed very strange.
** You're not suppose to climb or even touch the locomotives. Being that we arrived just after the demonstration ended, we were left alone with the locomotives right at the end of our visit. Not even a ranger to supervise us. Hence the illegal but DARLING photo of Cameron on the train. ehem-locomotive.
We laughed and laughed at the whole day. It was a bit of a drive into the middle of nothingness to get there, so it was funny when it was so - blah. But I LOVED it. And I loved that I could just pick up and go without any obligations to attend to for someone else. I love that part of my life. And I have finally just grasped the reality and coolness of this. I feel like many more day trips and road trips may be in my future!
B.T. dubs- Isn't my kid like crazy photogenic. Seriously. I need to get him connecting with a modeling agency. Start monetizing this cuteness.


No comments:
Post a Comment