August 9, 2014

Family History Lessons

Have I had quite the education these last several weeks!  I have never really been able to get into my family history; mostly because I am of the syndrome "my grandmother's have done it all".  AND - let's be honest here, I haven't really ever tried super hard.  BUT - all that changed these last few weeks after our trip to Nauvoo uncovered a bit that I didn't know about.

I had always known that my father's side held Pioneer stories.  That was basically the extent of my knowledge. So, when we visited Nauvoo and discovered the home Jonathan Calkins Wright, you better believe my history heart came alive with curiosity.  Jonathan is my 3rd Great Grandfather and has an interesting story line that led him to Nauvoo and into Joseph Smith's circle of friends.  He then crossed the plains to Salt Lake and soon found himself settled in Brigham City Utah. What I didn't know was the treasure trove I had just uncovered. 

Fast forward to last week.  My husband's family also has roots in Brigham City, Utah.  They were basically the pioneers that came with President Snow, under the direction of Brigham Young, to settle the new area.  Mark has an uncle who has been commissioned by the Mayor to do an extensive history of the area. Consequently, he is a wealth of knowledge and offers history tours of the city to passers by.  We were just so lucky to schedule a private tour just for us.  He took us all over to town showing us some key points of interest.  Starting with our very personal history.

 {1}  First stop was the now abandoned building that served as the hospital where Mark's father was born.  Say what? Abandoned?  Yes, and I totally wanted to go and explore.  But didn't.  Next up {3} Clyde's boyhood home where many summers were spent on those steps playing pickled waters.  A game I have no idea how to play.  And then, a surprise to me for sure was the trip to the high school where the Morrell name has been immortalized forever.  {2} Outstanding boy in 1966? Clyde Morrell.  Way to go pops!
We then learned quite a hefty load about the 3rd Great Grandpa Alvin Nichols and his history in Brigham City.  We saw some homes he lived in, the pasture where he did his farming, and the land he once owned that is now the home of many of his descendants.  We then hopped over to the graveyard to see where they are all buried.  

{This is where the tour got really interesting}

We found the graves of Alvin Nichols.  It was a square marker with the names of each of his wives on one side.  And who is one of his wives? A lady by the name of Charlotte Wright.  (dun, dun, dun).  Just a stone throw away was the grave of Jonathan Calkin's Wright.  This suddenly sparked my interest, so I asked Uncle David what the connection was.  And yes, Charlotte Wright was Jonathan Calkin Wright's daughter.  Can you put that genealogy chart together in your head?  I'm not going to spell it out for you right here, but there IS a polygamist line in there.  That is important to mention.  

Uncle David showed us Charlotte's house (below). and across the street was where Brigham Young gave his final public address 10 days before he died.  

So there you go.  A history lesson that sparked my interest way back in Nauvoo and led to a connection that I never expected.  Let's give it up for small towns eh? Cuz at this point, there is no going back.  {This last statement will make no sense if you haven't made the connection - the one that I'm not going to admit here. If you really are THAT curious ~ give me a shout out and I'll spell it out for ya. Again - there IS a polygamist line in there...let's not forget that point! Please. :)}

No comments: