August 28, 2012

"The City"

 When we made the decision to move away from Disneyland those few years ago, we understood that the draw for our friends visitations was going to be significantly less. So much so, that in these two years, we have had ... okay, lets not count how many friendly visits we have enjoyed. So "excited for your visit" would have been a drastic understatement when our best-ies confirmed our relationship and ventured to the Bay Area. So of course, I had to plan the only bait we have to dangle; and took them to see The City. Mark and I have refrained from going to Alcatraz on our own, knowing this is the only thing we've got to lure people to our area. So off to the city we went!

I tried to be precise in our planning to the city to ensure that a revisit could take place someday. After a beautiful "preview" vista at the Oakland Temple, we jaunted across the bridge to the Painted Ladies. "Whatever Happened to Predictability?" Our friends would have never predicted that Mark had researched the whereabouts of a classic sitcom-opening-credits-location. Presenting, Full House. Although I was driving, and Mark was stuck in the back of the van with 2 babies, Michelle and Brandon were quick and efficient at their picnic and photo session. One round trip around the park, and they had successfully seen the spot, taken the photo, and were waiting for the pick up. A few blocks down the road lie the actual Tanner home. And I won't mention this was the location of a "too-close-for-comfort" incident on the borrowed van. (Thanks to the 'chardses blog for documenting this moment for us)

 We made our way through the very steep hills of San Francisco, to ensure our guests experienced the whole of it, to get down Lombard Street. Then across the traffic to the busy Pier 39. I was all geared up for a pleasant stroll down to Pier 32 where the ferry to Alcatraz departs, but realized we had 10 minutes and 5 Piers to go. Wishing we had a stroller, Mark huffed our flour-sack of a son at a "more- than-a-pleasant-stroll" pace to make it to the ferry with no more than a minute to spare. Literally. At least we didn't have to waste our precious time waiting in line.


 The Tour was everything I remember - at least it would have been if I could have paid more attention. Our friends were nice enough to wait with us as we fed the lad; a delay that you wish went faster. We then lugged our children up the hill they don't tell you about before the tour starts. And then we had quite the melt down mid tour resulting in a blow out and a one very unhappy child. For our first public meltdown, I think we handled it well-despite the perfectly echoed screams bouncing off these prison walls, and the frightful San Francisco winds preventing me from taking him outside. Our fellow tourists had many thoughts (and glares) about this little family taking their infant to a prison...but alas, the show must go on!



 In between the cuddling and rocking, we did manage to take a few pictures and pick up a few bits and pieces of the tour. Mostly, we just enjoyed being with our friends. I aspire to be more like Michelle who was a rock star at caring for her very active 2 year old and still managing to get a plethora of fabulous photos.


1 comment:

Sara Warren said...

You look great, Kaylinn!