October 10, 2011

Home again. Home again. Jiggity-Jig

It had been a long time since we had taken a trip out to visit our friends and family out in Utah. And although the state and I seem to have a love-hate relationship-I am always very nostalgic and sappy when I return.

The weather gave us quite a run for our money! We left in the wee hours of the morning (a habit I picked up from my mother) and headed straight into the 1st storm of the season. Getting over the Sierra's required chains; a task neither Mark nor I had ever preformed. Luckily, my mom had just given us a set of chains a week earlier so we were happy that at least we were prepared. That is, until we realized the chains we had procured from mom were the wrong size. Thankfully, there were some for sale at an astronomically high price by the chain instillation workers. But I guess we are glad that at least there were some for sale.

After an hour of learning how to get them on correctly, and only minimal paint damage when we realized we had done it wrong, we did in fact get through the 9 miles that required the chains. Another 10 hours in the relentless rain across Nevada made us more then thrilled to finally arrive. We suppose that a boat would have probably been a better mode of transportation.



Our delayed arrival resulted in a very quick rest, and then we dashed out to meet up with some of our delightful vacation buddies with whom we cruised with last year. And delightful company they are. We laughed about new stories, and reminisced about our days on the boat. And Mark and I were sly enough to entice them to "commit" to another vacation package in a years time.


The purpose of our trip was to attend one nephew's baptism and his younger brother's baby blessing. It was so fun to see the Bouches' again. They are a riot of boys in every sense of the word. Mark played go fish about 20 times, and just laughed at how funny they are.


After another spectacular trip to the BYU bookstore where we shamefully purchase the only new clothes we ever get, we joined the crowds at the stadium for the BYU vs. San Jose State game. It was a chilly night - at about 43 degrees, but there is something fabulous about sitting in the stadium with all your BYU gear, just being a fan. It really was great, and BYU gifted us with a win which was very much appreciated.


Being back on BYU campus brought in a roar of good memories and feelings. Each time we get to go I just smile thinking about my years there. 'sigh'. Anyway-it was a fabulous trip. We ate way more then we should have - but in our defense, there are so many delicious restaurants in the valley, and such little time, you just gotta cram it all in. Quite literally. Hopefully our trips will be more frequent, because quite frankly, we just really like the people there.

2 comments:

Lorie S. said...

Hopefully next time we can be one of the cool people you see next time you visit! :)

The Kammeyers said...

Delightful!! LOVE that you guys are sporting your adorable new BYU gear. When we visited the Y recently I just HAD to buy us all adorable new Cougar clothes. (Not sure how they do it, but the styles are even CUTER now than when we were there. Very cool). :)

Anyway, I really can't think of my BYU experience without thinking of you & all the awesome memories we created! Simply delightful. Hugs, girl!