September 27, 2011

Piercings, Spandex, & Barefeet

I seriously think some of these students I encounter on a daily basis need to have a full length mirror somewhere in their direct line of sight. Seriously. I do.not.get it.

First off - lets talk about the piercings. Ears, eyebrows, cheek bones, and lips are one thing. I've sort of gotten use to all that crap. Its the tongue and belly thing I CAN NOT understand. Do you suppose they think they are alone in the world when it is time to clean said piercing? The belly for example. They scrunch down in their desk, with their shirt pulled up to their boobs, cleaning out around the stud. Sometimes with wipes! Followed by lotion. SICK. And the tongue is no different. Except it requires a mirror to be held with your tongue sticking right out, and your free hand scraping around the stud. Can you imagine the sickness of this display? And yet, for some reason, it is totally accepted. In fact, sometimes one girl will ask another girl to do the lotion part!

And the Spandex. Seriously girls. No where. In America. Or the world. should any female. OR MALE. ever. wear. spandex. Leggings, pants, shorts, shirts. Ever. Especially not the bright colors. Or white. Its just gross. Haven't you people seen the 70's and 80's photos. What an era. Let's leave it there. Wow. {as a side note, the under the skirt look, although not my preference, is acceptable.}

And finally - the footwear. Or lack thereof. Is there someone in the world that thinks it would be just fine to walk around a grocery store without any shoes or socks on? What about a mall. Or a school? It just seems really nasty to me. Why would anyone take their shoes off in a nasty classroom? Have you seen what is under the desks kids? What makes you think the floor is any cleaner?

And yet - without fail. Every. Single. Day. The piercings must be cleaned. The spandex is apparently a fashionable trend. And the shoes will come off. Welcome to High School. I hope they can look back at these years and smile.

4 comments:

Tabitha said...

Is there a way to get the message across that the appropriate place to bathe is at home and not during class?? You know some of your irritations would decrease if you moved out east. Not all...spandex and skinny jeans...can that trend go away already...but shoes definitely. Remember our days of showing up not quite all together for seminary or PJ pant days. Never in their lives would Phil's seminary students come in their PJ pants and I mean NEVER! They look like it is picture day EVERYDAY. Make up on, hair perfect, fashionably dressed...coming from the west coast it is AMAZING. [And yet I am still walking around in my gym attire (I'm not getting all done up just to go to the gym once the school bus leaves on T/TH.] It's not perfect out here but the teenagers are much more proper about their arrire and personal hygine, even at the worst of schools.

Sara Warren said...

I was thinking about this post all morning when I was walking Abby through the school campus. She goes to a K-8 school so there are plenty of not so properly dressed kids. What boggles my mind is how very little a kid can wear and manage to get out of the house in the morning AND not get sent home from school. AMAZING.

The Kammeyers said...

Hahaha. LOVED your comment, "Haven't you people seen the 70's and 80's photos? What an era. Let's leave it there." So funny! Seriously, I cannot believe people actually sit there and clean out their piercings for all the world to see! Talk about gross!

Anyway, haven't heard much from ya lately. Glad to hear you're doing well! :)

Matt and Dani said...

Hilarious!!!! Love it! Mark is right, we would be great friends!