May 25, 2010

Last Days

Let it be known the world that I love my job.
Somedays I think I am a good teacher and the kids actually do learn stuff I give them. Like a few days ago while reviewing chapter 2 from eons back, they remembered Locke (and Key), Hobbes (and Calvin) and Mon-tes-que with 3 syllables and 3 branches of gov. I always had my grades updated and posted every Friday. I sent letters home to parents several times and emailed a ton! Parents were always in the loop. and I had no problems with the yearbook this year like last year.

BAM! Good teacher.

Other days I think I have room for major repairs. Lots of former students visit toward the end of the school year; especially those I had as freshmen and are now graduating seniors. A few bring up the lesson we learned about not pushing friends out windows. (Toy Story-don't ask) And they mention that all we did was watch movies. Although this is an entirely false statement, it does make me cringe at that being their memory. I threw pencils at kids in 4th period. And I doubt I talked to every one of my students. I think there are some that I've never really talked to.

Not cool.

There are a lot of things that I will miss about teaching. I loved the start of school when I can recommit to organization. I love that control that I feel - when I say stuff people listen, and they come to me for direction. I love that I have a job I can wear jeans to every day. Early to work. Early home. This is totally my cup of tea. I am ALL ABOUT getting up early and getting the job done. Home by 3ish isn't a bad life. Students keep my style fresh(ish). And I just love looking at them all. Sitting and seeing them in their desks doing their work or chatting amongst themselves. There are some fun kids. I loved my room being right next to the copy room. When I was in 3002, the hike across campus was avoided at all costs. Here in 101A I am neighbors with the copy room, the office, the attendance, and activities. All the major hot spots on campus. It is prime real estate.

Things I will not miss: meetings! I have learned that I am not a get-together and talk about it person. I understand if there is something that needs to be discussed but when we are meeting just because we are told to. That bugs. 4th Period! will not miss them. I don't know what it was about that period this year. Guidance did a grand-slam job at putting a bunch of the wrong kids into the same class. Sure I have a few here and there in all my classes but 4th period was out-of-control this year. Will. Not. Miss them.

So-as I pack up my room for the last time and head up north, I bid my eagle soaring friends farewell. How lucky I was to be hired, on-the-spot, 4 years ago at a job fair at BYU. It has been good.

1 comment:

The Kammeyers said...

I remember you getting hired at that job fair! It's awesome to see where life has taken you. :) Congrats on the new move & this next phase of your lives!