November 15, 2009

Walt Disney World

Delightful! Vacation time finally came and we were more then ready. And what better place then on the other side of the country in the land where "Dreams Come True". Because Mark happens to work for the parks, we get some fabulous discounts. We were there for 5 days, how delightful!Just a few pictures to highlight our trip. We must mention our ability to eat! Disneyworld has the most amazing dining plan that had us eating pretty much non-stop. Our best "sit-down" meal was at Ohanas in the Polynesian Resort. Funny thing, for me-the meat wasn't the best part but it the delicious pastas and goodness you get before the meat buffet. I'm just saying!


I'm not much for Roller Coasters but in true theme park support, I rode all the rides. Expedition Everest is the parks most recent roller coaster. I don't love the backwards part of the ride, or the forward part so much either. I guess you can just look at my face, that tells a pretty good story.


Back to the food...pretty sure my favorite part was when we discovered the ice cream station. And I hate to admit it but I totally ate one of these every night; Mark enjoyed a chocolate shake (or two) as well. Yes, we took the "we're on vacation" excuse to the next level.


The highlight of the trip would most definitely be the surprise Mark had planned for Thursday night. We headed back to the Magic Kingdom that evening and I had guesses all over the place. It wasn't until we ventured backstage with a park manager that I put the pieces together. We were headed to none other then the Cinderella Suite located in Cinderella's castle. This room was used for the year of a million dreams but now is used exclusively for high profile guests. And very few tours. Their most recent guests? Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes.


James showed us little secrets from the escape window that would stop the fireworks show if it were opened and the Versailles chest taken from the fall off the Versailles Palace during the March. It was seriously beautiful. Smaller then I thought it would be. There wasn't a master bedroom, just one room with 2 queen beds and a pull out queen sofa. So my question: where did TomKat sleep? It was super neat to stand in a room that is so hard to get into. What a treat.


One of our last stops was at Epcot. The newest attraction there was the Kim Possible Secret Mission extravaganza. You get a little cell phone that tells you clues throughout different countries as you hunt for the evil henchmen. Really kinda fun, even for those of us in our late 20s.
And our last special treat was to meet the characters from the movie Up! which is one of our new favorites. Carl and Russel were uber cute. Carl even lent Mark his walker/cane thing. Super cute. So here is our standard Disney character shot.

A few other trip highlights (less photos):
  • Analyzing WDW lifeguards. They failed.
  • The couple on Splash Mountain. I promise he was late 30s, she was barely 20...if we're being nice.
  • Mark's introduction to and conquering of Sudoku
  • Christmas Lights in Hollywood Studios
  • Running into old friend Ben Parkes and expecting wife.
  • Peter Pan ride: so much better then California.
  • Birthday guy from Jungle Cruise. "Many more to come...for both of us" said while shoving cheetos and a pickle into his mouth.
  • German dinner with awkward tablemates.
  • 50% holiday cast member discount on merchandise
  • Food, Food, Food. Perhaps the additional lbs gained were not so good.
  • Trip to Downtown Disney (about 1 hour travelling time) to purchase "must haves". Later realizing they were in the shop at the hotel. Nice wasted trip.
  • $6.00 DirectTV purchase on flight home. Totally worth it.

7 comments:

Heidi Prince said...

i always forget you're not the biggest rollercoaster rider! but way to be brave! looks like you had an amazing time!

The Ross Family said...

Sound wonderful. I got your little surprise in the mail and it is up on our fridge. Macade is now determined to get us to go next year. he mentions it every day. I am so glad you got an AMAZING get away!!! Love your bones.

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

The pictures & additional stories were great to read! So glad you guys had such a magical trip!

Kelsi Fullmer said...

How fun!! I can't believe you two stayed in cinderella castle!! Mark well done on that one. I sure miss that place!

Katie said...

What a fun getaway! You guys are so cute together!

Can you e-mail me your address so I can send you a Christmas card? Katiespear@gmail.com.

hope all is going well. You coming to Nor Cal anytime soom?

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Ok, so for whatever reason on my computer there is not a link to leave a comment on your thankful post.

I just wanted to say that I too am thankful for you and our friendship. Not looking forward to your moving in a new direction, but excited for the home you'll get to live in. It will be just like the House Hunter homes we fall in love with, not like the ones in Hawai'i though. :o)

Steph said...

I am so jealous you guys got to go to Florida and I am extremely sad we didn't get to go with you. It looks like you had tons of fun!! And I went in to the castle suite once as well. Although I wasn't supposed to and I was in costume and the guests were in the suite. Awkward I would say! Anyways I love the pictures and we miss you guys!