July 13, 2012

One Week Celebration


We've made it one week. Although it seems like such a little amount of time, the adjustment has been huge for this new mom. But now that we're into day seven, here is a little baby tid-bit.

** Cameron loves his hands by his face. He is quite the mastermind at getting those hands out of the tightest of swaddles. Even with the specially purchased velcro swaddle blankets, his hands are still out before too long.

** When he was first born, the pediatrician was checking him over and said to Mark, "he has such a special spirit. He is so different from other babies." I have no idea what her faith is or what her comment meant to her, but for me it was such a powerful witness of the reality of our Heavenly Father's great plan and my responsibility to raise this boy to return to live with Him. He really is a special spirit.

** Several friends from my ward growing up have made a passing comment about how it must have been hard for my dad to let him go. Such a sweet thought to know he will always have his grandpa watching over him.

** He is such a content and peaceful little boy. Hardly whimpers over anything. Eats like a champ and sleeps really well too. Its been such a blessing that he has taken to earth life so well. Especially since my hormones have been wild, I'm not sure I'd be able to handle much else.

** On a less sappy note, we had quite the episode with a need to have his blood drawn for hyperthyroid screening. Nothing like having to take your brand new baby into the lab while trying to heal from delivery...twice. The first time we went down there and had them take his blood from his heel. The next morning, I get the call that they didn't have enough blood and I would need to return that day. UG! They then informed me they would need to take the sample out of his arm. Say what? He is only 4 days old? Then the very intelligent nurse who I was trying not to hate asked me if I had given him any juice ... um ... hello, he is only 4 days old. Pretty sure juice isn't in his diet! Two arms, two needles, two heels, and two hours later, we finally had two tubes for them to test. and of course, it was a false positive the first time around so the additional screening was unnecessary.

I know I'm the mom so my opinion is tilted, but he really is a beautiful little boy. And now that we've got one week under our belts, its time to at least get my life back in order. The car is OUT of gas, the fridge is OUT of food, the flowers are wilting, and the bills still want to be paid on time. Go figure - life really is wonderful; every nook and cranny of it.


2 comments:

Diana said...

So so sweet! I love the comment that his nurse made about him being such a special spirit, so cool! Good luck dealing with the hormones, worst thing ever and you had to get 2 vials of blood drawn for the poor boy? I would have hit that nurse, so annoying.

Elsie said...

My goodness...what a gorgeous little (well I guess 9 lbs. 12 oz, aint so little, good work kay!) boy!! We are so happy for you guys. I wish you were my parents! Cameron is so blessed ;) I honestly have no advice to give because I still feel clueless even though Jaycee just turned one! Everyday is an adventure though and we are loving it! We miss you guys so much. Enjoy that sweet sweet babe.